sobota, 1 maja 2010

Stylistic Inversion - inwersja stylistyczna

Used in:
1) formal writing
2) (not so often) formal speeches

Aims:
1) to attract a reader's attention
2) to create the atmosphere

Interrigative form - forma pytająca
I meet -> do I meet
I met -> did I meet
I've been -> Have I been

ZWROTY NA POCZĄTKU ZDANIA:
- all expressions with "no"
no time
under no circumstances = on no account = under no condition - pod żadnym warunkiem
- Never
- Little
- Seldom
- Rarely
- Hardly
- Only (if, when...)
- Barely - zaledwie, prawie, w ogóle
- Such
- So
- As soon as - zaledwie cos się stało, kiedy wydarzyła się następna czynnosc

Hardly .. had I + III forma... when Simple Past
Scarcely had I + III forma... when Simple Past
Barely .. had I + III forma... when Simple Past

No sooner had I + III forma... than Simple Past

INVERSION MUST BE USED IN THE MAIN CLAUSE! - Inwersja w częsci nadrzędnej.

PRZYKŁADY:

a) He was so tired that he couldn't walk.
So tired was he that he couldn't walk.
b) It was such a great disaster that people lost their houses.
Such a disaster was it that people lost their houses.
c*) You mustn't touch it under any condition.
Under no condition must you touch it. <- pojedyncza negacja!
d) She knew little about it.
Little did she know about it.
e*) You are not allowed to enter that room on any account.
On no account are you allowed to enter the room. <- pojedyncza negacja

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz